Some of my bad habits
Sometimes when I am supposed to be in bed asleep, I will find some little tidbit of absolutely useless information that will so obsess me that I just have to follow it. I get curious. It might be the hacker way in me.
For example, without giving too much away and embarrassing the guilty party, I found a photographer that was really good, and did some nice work. But I wondered, as I always do, "what kind of useless information and further deductions can I get from this?" And of course, preferably the information I am not supposed to be getting.
I started with a single picture that most people would think nothing of and found out the following:
- The photographer's real name
- The real photographer's working portfolio
- A close family member of the photographer
- Said family member's workshop, actual location, and online store
- What camera was used
- Two sets of editing software, on Mac and Windows
- The exact date of the multi location photo shoot, on a Saturday
- The subject was wearing a jacket. The temperature that day, in that location, was 36F
- The proximity of the shoot from the aforementioned store
- and that photographer stays in a pretty tight locale
- I also learned about two or three of photographers subjects as well.
- I was able to deduce that one subject is very likely a professional from fingernails and other cues
- I was able to ascertain by the same method that another is an art student, and possibly also related to the photographer